Wednesday 18 July 2018

Gig Review: Bearheads/The Visitors/Bilk @ The Horn, St Albans


Bearheads started off with some powerful and heavy musical resonance which made my ears prick up instantly. The lead singer teased me every now and again with a real husk to his voice which I enjoyed. Although this wasn’t the case all the way through their set. Some songs resembled a young pop-punk band which isn’t really my cup of tea so their set finished and I was left a little confused as to whether I was a fan or not. They did bring a crowd however and they all seemed to lap up their vibes so maybe it was just me.                                                                    
                                                                                                                                                                                                      
The Visitors were up next, I have listened to this band previously and have been curious about how they sounded live ever since, and I can tell you, they did not disappoint me. They even threw in an Arctic Monkey’s cover which by the way wasn’t too shabby. You can tell these boys are influenced by the likes of the Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Libertines etc. The front man brought a mature indie tone to the stage and he wore it well.
Bilk took the stage, three very young-looking lads but they brought some tight knit yet gritty riffs to St Albans that night. With hints of Jamie T and Ratboy and someone else I can’t quite put my finger on I was thoroughly taken back by clever and realistic lyrics being thrown at me. I wasn’t the only one who was enjoying it either, I think the guy jumping around with an England flag tied round his neck definitely having a great time.

 Sol Abrahams of Bilk

Words by Saffron Long.
Photo by Neil McCarty.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment