Thursday 19 April 2018

Gig Review: IDLES @ Craufurd Arms, MK 13th April '18

 
The Craufurd Arms, a quirky little pub with a dark and dingy sweatbox round the back.
What more could you ask for?... The Pad Presents throwing the modern day post punk powerhouses that are Idles into the mix, of course!
I was pleased to see a fairly busy room for the supporting act LICE also from Bristol (the same as Idles) who recently released their new EP IT ALL WORKED OUT GREAT Vol.1 on Balley records (Idles' new record label)
LICE are a slightly mixed matched looking bunch and you most certainly do not expect to hear Stammering Bill which captures not just me, but it seemed everyone in the room with its bluesy bass, smooth guitar and heaving rolling drums. Their lyrics show a fun youth but also political intelligence. Throughout the whole of their set their was banger after banger, each tune packed with epic oomph.
Idles take to the stage and I am already feeling like I want to take my shirt off and swing it around my head. The energy in the room from the crowd is intense so you can imagine how they feel on stage. 
Heel/Heal smacks me in the face, making me all giddy. Building up the anticipation in the room.
Joe's stern and powerful vocals in Divide and Conquer sounded stronger than ever with the scratchy riffs and thunder like drums. Throughout their soul capturing set, people are flinging themselves in the air with their fingers crossed hoping a few companions would be nice enough to hold them in the air and carry them forward (or back). I, myself bottled it!
It was refreshing to hear a couple of the oldie’s; Queens and The Idles Chant captivated the room. Coming to the end of their set, and while playing White Privilege a sweaty Bobo (Mark) comes prancing into the crowd and kneels down at my feet (something every gal wants, no?) giving me the opportunity to scream 'YEAH!' at the top of my lungs into his microphone while on the other side of the room Lee steam trained it through the crowd playing gut quenching riffs with his guitar in the air.
The crowd could not get enough of the earnestness of the band and rightly so, I do not think there was one thing I did not enjoy about this set. In fact, I liked it so much, I was sick into my scarf.
The rawness of each song, the truth of the everyday man behind each lyric and the pure passion of each member of the band is what captivates me every time I see them.
I am going to stop licking their arses now.
 
          Photo credit: Neil McCarty.

No comments:

Post a Comment